View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jess,

Is it soft like a pimple, does it have a head on it? Or is it hard/pointy like a piece of bone? To answer your question..... yes you can have an infection even if a tooth is removed and not all infections cause pain at the onset.

It is not unusual to see some bony fragments come out or poke out of the gum after an extraction. They are similar to splinters. Perhaps that is what you are referring to when you say "white things popping out of the socket"?

If you think it's a pimple and/or get drainage from that area, then see the dentist on tuesday. If it's a bony fragment, it may be okay to leave it alone as it may fall out or heal over on it's own. If it were to become infected, then it would have to be removed.

Keep us posted.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiangel View Post
Hi Bryanna. I hope you will see this post. Its 6 weeks post extraction and everything seemed to be healing (finally) nicely. The socket actually looks fully healed now, and there's been no salty taste anymore. Then this afternoon, I ran my tongue along my gums and felt something. There's a pimple above the extraction site now. There's no pain, but definitely a pimple. The last time I had a pimple on my gum over a different tooth, it was an abscess. How can you get an abscess when there's nothing left there? And can you have an abscess without pain? I tried to call the doctor, but he's out until Tuesday (figures, everything happens on a 3 day weekend). I've had alot of white things popping out of the socket area, which I believe are bone fragments. Is it possible that a bone fragment can be working its way out of the side of the gum? I'm due to go back in 2 weeks for a check up and am supposed to leave in 6 days for a cross country vacation. Now I'm not sure what to do.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote