View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 03:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Horselover,
David is eloquent in his synopsis and has been ever so fortunate to be able to deal with PN thru exercise, diet, and other non-drug ways (he didn't mention Yoga, but if you read some of his back posts, you''ll see it mentioned).

j (Dahlek) has been fighting a very intense battle and has some insight that others here, are not even close to recognizing.(some do- all too well)

Liza Jane, has also fought a long and hard battle with her PN.....and has compiled (along with help from other PN sufferers) one of the most specific set of spreadsheets, designed for PN sufferers. No other disease was the impetus. Her diligence and past experiences led her to create the most useful tool for us that I can think of. The ability to be able to take information from various doctors & labs, and track testing and meds over time- is invaluable. Her spreadsheet on PN tests- has everything in one place, at your fingertips.

Another of out regular memberss, Glenntaj - has volumes of medical information relating to PN- in his head, and contributes here regularly.
His knowledge about PN, is encyclopedic.

This is a place where you can find the answers to many of your questions, or at least a link to somewhere that could be a start.

PN is a disease that the cause id found, not with a magic bullet x-ray or CT scan - but thru a process of elimination. A sometimes frustratingly long and multi-test process, if You're willing to dig deep enough and submit yourself to the necessary medications and tests to find out. Many of us will never find the cause, some others- may- and still others, have.

But there are some truisms that we definitely can say that we have in common, treatments that are the same- no matter what the cause, and suppliments, exercises, and foods that can help- and make us healthier, in spite of whether we've found the cause or not.
But there is one thing that will definitely make our PN symptoms worse....STRESS ! (and depression and stress go together).
It is important that we find a way (and each of us is different) to reduce and alleviate stress in our daily living.

I was so stressed out, and agravated, and annoyed, and angry, and hyper when I first found out I had PN. I had never heard of it- it seems that altho many diabetics develop it (I've read over 50% - many with extremely mild cases) - it seems to take a back seat to the diabetes, unless it is debilitating enough to be separated out, and treated independantly.
I was fortunate enough to have found support sites like this one. and BT1, and TNA, within the first 6 months of my Dx. They literally kept me from going out of my mind with anxiety and stress.

Since then (over 7 years ago) I've learned a lot of things, but I think the most important one is to accept the fact that I have a chronic condition that does not have a 'cure'. No pill will make it go away.
Denial of that fact is definitely a big creator of stress.

Acceptance doesn't mean give in- as David has eloquently detailed. We all are searching for a way to let us live as normal a life as possible.

We all are so different and varied that no one way works for all.
But we also have accepted the fact that PN will not rule our lives.
We will have control, not the PN.

Maybe that is the best advice I can give you.
But it certainly is not the last word. We all are still learning everyday. that's why we congregate here- to share and help. We are more than willing to help you and have you share with us.

Best of luck, in finding your way ..... to have.... a pain free day.