View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 10:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Jeff, I have had severe back pain from MG. I can now head it off, however.

It may not be that but it could be. When muscles get weak, especially the core muscles, it can thrown off the back. Also, muscles can cramp up when they weaken too. You can get into a vicious cycle of weakness, more pain, more weakness, etc.

I think what you might want to ask your neuro for is an assessment by a physical therapist. Now, don't go and pooh-pooh that! They can do absolute wonders for MGers. It helps if the PT knows about neuromuscular disorders.

Have you felt around at your muscles from your back to your hips? Are there any really sore areas? If so, your muscles may be so bad that they need PT.

Of course muscle relaxants would help with temporary relief of knotted up muscles and would most definitely make MG worse!

If your muscles are knotted up, they need massage, ultrasound heat and basic exercises to keep your core muscles in tune.

Muscle relaxants could send you into an MG crisis. You don't need that. Just get in to see your neuro and get his advice. I hope you can figure out something that helps. Kneading the muscle by yourself, if you find a sore spot, does help.

Annie
Hi Annie,

I've actually been going to physical therapy for the past few months. I just recently stopped as I'm burning through my sessions for the year and may need to save some after for after surgery. Its improved my strength some, but done very little for my pain. They've been doing massage and ultrasound and within a few hours of the treatment, all the tightness and pain is back. I'm hoping the thymectomy will help improve the situation. I meet with the surgeon in a couple weeks so hopefully they'll set a date and I can finally get this done.

Jeff
BackwardPawn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote