View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help Rapid decline in mental health

My mother has had physical health problems for years and has been receiving medical care (in Cyprus) to help her for aprox 9years. She is also extremely thin as she has a problem when it comes to food (this may be anorexia or similar but no one has seen fit to label what is happening).
Up until June last year, my Dad kept track of all her medication and who/ what doctors she was seeing - unfortunately he died... For the past year, I have been taking care of my mother as best I can and have discovered she was also seeing a psychiatrist and being 'treated' for depression - from what I have seen, the treatment involved pumping several kinds of drugs into her system rather than finding out what is causing the depression and the possible anorexia has been ignored.
She visited the doctor for a repeat prescription at the beginning of the week but he refused to give her ANY tablets due to her low weight.
As I have an 18month old daughter and my mother was living with us, SHE decided she wanted to go into a nursing home to alleviate some of the stress from me. She moved into the home on Tuesday evening (22 May) and by Thursday morning (24 May) her mental health had deteriorated massively and she had developed severe paranoia. She now believes people are after her and the same people are after me and my family.
We believe the nursing home, possibly on advice from my mothers psychiatrist, dramatically reduced her medication. The medication formerly being taken included Seroquel 200mg, Trileptal 600mg, Citalopram 60mg, Lorazepam 6mg (per day - not in one dose!) and Faverin 100mg plus various pain management drugs and drugs for her stomach (to prevent ulcers?).

Has anyone experienced this before? Can anyone offer a clue as to my mothers rapid mental decline?
MrsAndreaR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote