View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbie View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Been reading for the past few days. I am copy pasting my story below from another thread. Trying to find more info on anyone with neurogenic TOS (and/or having cervical ribs which I know is more uncommon) who has gone or is going to soon be undergoing surgery. What approach was used? And if you didn't have the ribs removed and only a scalenectomy, why did you choose that route?

My Story:

I have bilateral cervical ribs, right one greater than the left, I just found this out recently however have been suffering from undiagnosed TOS for a year. From the research I have done, the best way to ensure that you don't have recurrence of TOS is to have the cervical and first rib resection along with scalenectomy and brachial plexus neurolysis to get rid of the scar tissue in the plexus and it should be done with the supraclavicular approach. My symptoms have been right sided until recently, I am now also having pain in my left side but not nearly as bad as my right. I have done PT, been on every medication you can think of, several trigger point injections, epidural injection, a nerve block and ablation of the medial branch nerves and have seen 12 doctors over the course of the year since I had an injury from weight lifting. Up until now my doctors were focused on my neck and the normal MRI and nobody thought to order a neck xray or CT scan until a week ago (had a CT scan showing the cervical ribs). My pain and numbness in my arm shoulder and hand were ignored until I started PT 3 months ago and then found out I have a labral tear in my right shoulder as well. I have seen 3 orthopeadic surgeons and the last one told me the tear is too small to be causing the pain and it is definitely TOS. A neurosurgeon (3rd one I have seen) ordered the CT scan. My next step is getting a scalene block to confirm my diagnosis, but I already know from my history and symptoms and physical exams that I have neurogenic TOS and am done with conservative treatment. I am also considering getting the NeoVista MRI to double confirm my diagnosis. Has anyone had this done/think it is necessary? Also, I am in New York and have only been able to find one thoracic surgeon specializing in TOS who I am definitely planning on seeing after my scalene block. But can anyone tell me if it makes sense to see a vascular surgeon since I have neurogenic TOS? Or only a thoracic or neurosurgeon? In that case, I am stuck with this one doctor, because the rest in NY are vascular. I am also willing to travel to SF and possibly LA or TX since there is a limited number of experienced thoracic surgeons in general from what I've found so far. Any input would be appreciated.
I posted a link to a couple of dr's in your other thred.I also have neurogenic TOS and also have started to look into surgery. I have done alot of research, and have read numerous papers on TOS as well as gaining alot of info from this forum. I had a BPMRI which helped confirm my initial diagnosis,but all it showed was neural edema. I would wait until you find a surgeon before you have the MRI because each surgeon has particular tests that they like.

the The Vascular Dr's also operate on Neurogenic TOS. In L.A. All 3 Dr's that do this surgery are vascular surgeons. There are only a few neurologists in the country that do scalenectomy only and maybe nuerolysis) (Dr Brown in San Diego, Dr. Sanders/Annest in Denver) but if you need the ribs taken out you will probably need to go to a vascular surgeon anyway because there are blood vessels and veins involved.

There is a member that had a scalenectomy only but then had to go back for a second surgery when they found the rib impingement because the first dr. wasnt a vascular surgeon.
I'm sure there are some other people on this forum who have had cervical ribs taken out who will weigh in.
if you see Dr. Fantini in NY let me know, I have family in NY and would consider going there.I am still taking the PT route for now, I found a really good PT that is helping me now--- finally

Good Luck,
JKL
jkl626 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote