View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 02:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MTHFR, B12, Methylfolate, and 23andMe

I know the MTHFR & B12 issue has been discussed here before, but I still have questions. Has anyone checked your 23andMe data and found you were at risk? I am ("compound heterozygous"). Also, has anyone tried taking methylfolate and B12, and if so what were the results? Any general health improvement or PD symptom relief?

My GP doctor (like many) wasn't aware of this issue, but had me tested & said my test levels were adequate (Web sources say not necessarily). My neurologist was more informed, has ordered more tests for deficiences, and will write prescriptions if so. Since I've already been taking OTC Solgar Metafolin & Methyl B12 for several weeks, how long must I wait before taking the new tests? Apparently they linger and I want the tests to be accurate so I can get the prescriptions.

I am finding conflicting advice about what the results really mean, the type & amount of supplements, and dosage timing (empty stomach or with meals?). Anyone worked all this out yet?

With heartfelt thanks.

p.s. If you're on 23andMe, I recommend checking your data for this, as there is a possible connection to Parkinson's & other conditions. Let me know if you want more info on how to do it.
Peony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote