View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 07:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What I meant was , one will reach a maximum dosage and beyond it, medicine will not be beneficial anymore. (Sorry, sometimes I may not express my thoughts very clearly since English is not my first language - but I am trying) I guess you put my thoughts appropriately with the phrase "topping it out".

During my consultation with the neuro last Friday, he told me that further tests will not be necessary, unless there is significant development (he avoided using the word "progression") in my condition that will warrant further investigation.

I am so eager to take as much as supplements as possible to at least arrest the nerve damage as early as possible. I would be happy if - at least - my symtoms will not progress - BUT, if it improves, I would be the happiest and grateful person in the world!!! For now, I am grateful that I find this forum and to all the wonderful and caring people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I'm not sure what you were reading, or if I'm interpreting the question correctly (saw similar mention in Sub-Forum post) or not.

With gabapentin & Lyrica, there are maximum dosages beyond which increasing dosage further adds no further benefit. IOW, they top out, so there's no point in increasing dosage beyond that point. Some people can use these medications for many years without ever reaching those levels; others can reach them within a few years (or less?) Everyone is different with many different causes/types of PN/neuropathic pain.

Gabapentin/Lyrica sometimes do stop working for some people.

In either case above, they try switching to Lyrica, Topamax, or something else. There are many medications being used, and more in the pipeline.
Google: medications for peripheral neuropathy

Doc
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote