Thread: Spinal Fusion??
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain management

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoc View Post
Why havn't they tried a stimulator mine has been the only way i could live. ask about one before fusion I have been able to put the fusion of my c-6 t1 for the past 5 years with the stimulators.
Hi Suz...I also take Hydrocodone and have been taking it since 2003 (.5/325) every six hours "as needed". I try to taper off now and then as I can to keep the theraputic effect as high as possible. Now it just is not enough and I am taking two which I rarely did before. What I have had to do is drink wine, usually red wine in the evening instead so I will not take too much. Also I noted that Ibuprophen has anti-inflamatory properties and sometimes I take that and it helps a lot more than the Acetempenaphen they combine with the Vicodin. Why don't they combine the Vicodin with the Ibuphrophen I wonder. Anyway here are some less controversial things I am doing (but I am very new to this discussion so this will probably not be very helpful:

1. Heating pad
2. TENS unit
3. Swimming
4. In addition to medication, re-focus and/r distract your mind. This sounds like nonsense when you are in real pain but even then it does help, maybe not on its own, but it really does help. I write and paint but if you play piano or guitar, anything really that you enjoy. Someone told me to keep a daily journal and first thing every morning just write three pages, stream of consciousness...nonsense or whatever, just keep your hand moving, what ever comes into your mind. It seems to be a kind of venting and this really helps also. Sometimes when you go back a week or two later and read (after letting the writing "age" a little, it can be really insightful. Imagine it is your inner child in pain and crying out for attention (Isn't that what the body is doing, really?). By writing you give attention and voice to that inner child or inner "bones" or whatever.
5. I believe that taking calcium, Glucosamine/Chrondritin (sp?) and other supplements also helps but in more subtle ways.
6. I also have Clonezepam and sometimes that seems to help...anything that helps you relax...Chamomile tea

I guess I really believe that it is a whole spectrum of things that help...not just a couple of drugs sort of thing. The other thing is...for me, I have just lived with the pain...try to ignore it, do Yoga and meditate. Use all the tools available to you and take control to the extent you can. If you feel like a victim, defeated, that will amplify your pain so be a warrior. :-)

skygardener is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (05-28-2012)