View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm finding your thread a little late and I hope you have found some answers by now.

I think your mom is on way too many psyc meds. Does she have a major mental health disorder and epilepsy? Alzheimers? I think you are probably correct in thinking the nursing home discontinued some of them and that is the cause of her deterioration. I also think its possible that they needed to be discontinued, I hope they know what they are doing and her symptoms will diminish as she adapts. When a med that affects the neurotransmitters in the brain is abruptly stopped the transmitters can 'rebound' and cause symptoms such as agitation, etc. Talk with them to find out what they have done and if they can do anything to help her be more comfortable. Sometimes if there is a big mess with medication they just stop what they can to try to see what is actually needed.

If she does have Alzheimers a change like moving to a facility can also precipitate cognitive problems and confusion but I'd bet on the medication unless there were things about her cognition you didn't mention.

Talk with them and give them a chance but also don't hesitate to assert yourself and be her advocate.

judi

Last edited by zygopetalum; 05-29-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (05-29-2012)