Thread: rasagiline
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Diego24

Diego24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
They claimed Mirapex was also neuro protective, and found out it was not..I could be wrong, but I wouldnt doubt that this neuro protective proclamation, is a marketing scheme
Mirapex is Pramipexole. I didn't find any real proof this one is neuroprotective. The TEMPO data for rasagiline looks much more convincing to me.

I think the biggets hope for a neuroprotector for PD is inosine. They are in clinical phase ii now. In the report they claim that people with a high level of urate decline 40 % slower than those with a low level. This connection between urate and slowing down of PD progression was clearly seen in data obtained from more than 1600 PD patients. The conclusion of this phase will be published in 2013. Unfortunately this is not a phase 3 trial, which will probably take another 5 tot 7 years.

In 2013 results from a new rasagiline study will be published to finally decide whether rasagiline is neuroprotective or not. According to the TEMPO studies I saw, Rasagiline seems promissing. Patients at year 6 with rasagiline (only 1 mg dose) were at the same stage as people at year 3 with rasagiline. If you add to this the 40 % of inosine, I think there is some real and interesting hope for all PD patients. So let's cross our fingers and see how things evolve.

What does upset me, though, is the creatine phase 3 clinical trial. They are at year 5, but expect results at year 8. I wonder why they don't put intermediate results already. 5 years of data is a lot of data already. I think all PD patients should have the right to know the results from the already obtained data and determine together with their doctor whether they should take creatine or not. Neurons aren't gonna wait 3 years. Action is needed as soon as possible.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Peony (05-29-2012)