View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 11:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WOW...Stef (VodPop), which ever you prefer...
That's very interesting, I thought I was standing alone in this category. I too had a RTL, back in May '04 for my Complex-Partial Epilepsy influenced by a severe head trauma in 2000. The weirdest thing though, Im not sure it's a "Seizure" per say, but quite a few times I get an "amplification" in my left ear (only the left); I say its weird because my RTL was where my seizures were localized and obviously had been operated on. I remember the 1st time this occurred...I was driving to class (DRIVING--what a feeling) it was the winter of '05. Listening to the radio, in b/w songs came the weather forecast:
"Ok Lancaster county we're looking @ ***5*** inches of snow in the days to come. Just hearing that broadcast really scared the heck outta me. The sound was astronomical for about 5 seconds, then my hearing on both sides is muffled until completion/ending of these, I'll call them "THINGS." I wear a device called the "Speech Easy" to aid my stuttering which has a volume control on it. I thought it was the device but I hadn't put it in yet, I wait till just before I get to class. The amplification lasted roughly 1/2 a minute, so I let it fly(no biggie-just a happen-stance scenario). Later on in the week it happed another time, told myself, "Happens again Dave, call PENN and get the Neuro's opinion." Wouldn't you know it happens again, call the neuro, she calls in an order for an EEG which I was hesitant to enter because I knew that would be the onset of a seizure. You can guess what happened next, so my licence was revoked for medical reasons.
Interesting how these are being labeled Seizures, my Neuro wasn't even sure and she's from one of the most prestigious epilepsy study/research/treatment centers in the world (I won't knock her credentials though, she changed my life). I've noticed two/maybe three other particular instances or scenarios that the "THINGS" are triggered by: #1) Church service (Roman Catholic) so a BIG, BIG pipe organ, and some of the high pitched hymns set these off, #2) I'm in a world music class right now (weird, weird music around the world) and some of the soundscapes set off these "THINGS", and #3) I'm in a bowling league-and on several occasions I'll find one happening. I tell my Dad that's why you win, I have the medical handicap as well as the bowling one, so take it easy on me, he never lets up though--LOL (if my lil insert of humor was insult to your inquiry, sorry) I can go into environments with loud volumes on many occasions w/out "THINGS" being triggered, so it's all still somewhat of a mystery.
To answer your last question if anything follows these, yes I get a severe headache probably 80% of the time. I've not gone a SINGLE DAY in the PREVIOUS 7 YEARS w/out some degree of headache since my injury. I hope you find some comfort and relative peace in further years with epilepsy, and it remain in a dormant state. Just wait, there will be a day...you'll know there isn't the slightest risk you may have a seizure. It's all up to the MDs though.
Take Care and GOD BLESS,

Last edited by Clutch8185; 04-15-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Clutch8185 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote