View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow, thanks. I didn't know there were so many. Right now my drug of choice for a mild lift is coffee. But I should try the others.

I have two distinct groups of symptoms. The first is mild to moderate weakness that's pretty steady. The Mestinon helps with that a bit, but not tremendously. The second group of symptoms is episodes of severe weakness. They last about two hours. My legs get so weak that I can't walk at all. These episodes interfere with daily living more than the general mild weakness, and the Mestinon doesn't do anything to prevent or treat them.

My neurologist is puzzled by the "episodes." He says that's not typical of MG.

Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan068 View Post
Odd...

I'd ask your neuro to look at a mestinon alternative:
Physostigmine
Neostigmine
Pyridostigmine - this is Mestinon
Ambenonium
Demarcarium
Rivastigmine

Mestinon does the job better than any other Cholinesterase Inhibitors but there are alternatives if you can't use it. All of the above are reversible so they would behave in a similar manner to Mestinon and have a relatively short half-life in your system. I would think that you would need *something* to manage the downs if you're experiencing a lot of ups & downs.

The imunosuppressant is great for long term reduction of the symptoms but on a daily basis I'd certainly want something to get over the hump on a bad one...
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote