Thread: Relapse?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Don't forget that remission doesn't necessarily mean full recovery - I was Dx'd 11 years ago, and I still have stuff left over from the relapse that earned me a speedy diagnosis.

I still have fatigue, incoordination, vision problems etc. But I am lots BETTER than I was when I first presented. So I have had some recovery - but not complete. I still have those days when my processing speed is very much impaired, I am still affected by the heat, but even though it all still happens it isn't new to me.

When I was about two-and-a-half years in, I wondered what the heck RRMS meant since I still felt like cr*p and I seemed to feel worse and worse every day. I was sure I must have been developing SPMS, but my MRI's didn't show new stuff. My neuro told me I was having pseudo-exacerbations (which made me feel like a huge whinger, and hypochondriac until I spent some time reading here and discovered it was 'normal' and not as bad as it sounds).

I think my body (and brain) was adjusting to my 'new normal' and that is a long, difficult and often painful process.

I hope that his is what is happening for you too. If your 'first' relapse was a really bad one, you may have done some long-term damage that will have residual effects.

Of course, if you are experiencing true relapses it is, I am sure, a different story - I am just talking about my own experiences, and we all have a 'different' disease. Sorry you are feeling so low. As some have said though, SPMS patients don't have the same access to medications etc - so don't be in too much of a hurry to prove your doc wrong.

xx

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 Craniotomy to clip brain aneurysm 2004. ITP 1993.
Lynn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (06-01-2012), daisy.girl (05-31-2012), SallyC (05-30-2012)