View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 06:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Poll Iodine Deficiency

I know that celiac disease and thyroid problems walk hand in hand. My doctor did bloodwork for thyroid and said all my numbers are good, yet I know something is wrong.

Well, anyways, yesterday I was reading up on thyroid problems again and came across iodine deficiency. There is a "at-home" test you can try for iodine deficiency. You use iodine tincture--you dab it onto the skin on the inside of your arm, you make a silver dollar size circle with it and watch it for 24 hours. Iodine is an orange color, so you can see it very well. If you are iodine deficient, your body will absorb the spot. You check the spot in 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours. Depending on how long the spot stays, will somewhat determine if you are deficient. If it lasts the 24 hours, then you do not have an iodine problem, if it lasts 12 hours, then you have a mild to medium deficiency--in only a little over 5 hours, my body had absorbed the iodine. At 11:30 last night, the iodine spot was so faint on my arm that you would not even know it was there if you had not seen it earlier--I had put the iodine on at 6:30 pm.

Well, now I have a starting point. An iodine deficiency does effect your thyroid, which in turn causes fatigue, brain fog, depression, trouble adjusting to hot/cold, insufficient stomach acid, etc. The insufficient stomach acid hit a cord immediately--could definitely be why I am having so much trouble with different foods. I also have been gaining weight, while walking daily and exercising. I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety in Dec and started taking Celexa. I was having severe stomach cramping at the time and the Celexa did calm that, yet I see no other improvements.

Anyone else have this? Any suggestions? I am calling my doctor for an appt tomorrow for further testing or a referral to someone else.
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote