View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Carotidynia and TIA

Hello everyone:

I have just returned from the ER and was diagnosed with Carotidynia. One symptom I am experiencing that is absent from everyone's posts regarding this subject, is blood. It started a week ago. I first noticed it when I turned a certain way and my neck (left side) hurt so terribly. When I touched the area on the left side of my neck, it felt like an electric shock and I jump because of the pain. Progressively, my left ear started hurting and my left jaw. Then a few days later I was in so much pain (on Memorial Day), I called my GP/Endrocronlogist and I asked him for antibiotics because I assumed I had an infection (sinus/ear). Two days later the pain was still so bad and I woke up with something slimely, wierd in my mouth. Went to the bathroom and I spit up blood. Went to my GP and he did an x-ray, and did NOT look in my ear or throat. He focused on me "coughing" up blood and assumed it was an upper respiratory issue and rushed me out. I went home laid down and woke up to excruciating pain on the left side of my neck, jaw and ear. I looked at my pillow and there was a blood stain on my pillow case that went through to my pillow. Alarmed, I called a friend who is a gynecologist and she told me to go immediately to the ER because she was aware that I had just gotten out of the hospital two months ago with a TIA (mini stroke). She told me she hoped a blood vessel was not thinning. The TIA focused on my left side as well with temporary paralysis on the left side. I am wondering is there some connection. At that time, in early March my doctor put me on a beta blocker to slow down my heart rate and a baby aspirin regimen. What I am attempting to discover is if there is some correlation with: 1) TIA/Mini stroke; 2) Beta blocker medication; 3) high blood pressure; 4) thyroid conditions; or 5) being on an aspirn regimen - ALL of which I have.

Please help. I have missed two months of work because of the TIA. I almost feel totally disabled because of this TERRIBLE pain.

Thank you for your time and attention.
chelhollie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote