View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Learning disabilities and Epilepsy

My daughter is about to finish kindergarten. Since she has started, she has been on 4 different meds for epilepsy, currently on Lamictal (seems to be working-knock on wood). Excluding all the other side effects that she has displayed, a constant has been a strange learning disablity. Her teacher, who has been unbelievably supportive, is stumped. Im not really looking for a label (though that would be nice) but maybe some advice.

She seems to understand something one minute and then its gone the next. One example is that she learned how to count to 100 at the start of the year. We did it ALL THE TIME! She was great at it. Then we were talking about it the other day and she couldnt get past 30. Its like she forgot how to count, almost like she was learning it for the first time. Its hard for her because she knows she knew it at one point. She does this with her reading too. One minute she knows a word she read and two pages later its like shes never seen it before.

It seemed to me like a common sense connection to epilepsy. Its a misfiring in the brain and this is an easy way to describe her difficulty in learning. Im sure I am over simplifying but I was wondering if anyone else had a simular experience.

Thank you.
concernedmom2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote