Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
I already requested for another doctor, but I am still waiting for the approval from my insurance as this will already be my 4th neurologist.

I tried calling the Cutaneous Nerve Laboratory of John Hopkins to inquire, but they were asking for a reference number from my doctor. The more I read in this forum how important it is to know the exact nerve densities and other hints on my nerves that could help in the diagnosis, the more I am frustrated dealing with the uncooperativeness of my doctor's clinic. Though, my written report from John Hopkins states : "The epidermal nerve fiber density and appearance are within normal". The word appearance gives me some consolation that this may mean that my nerves do not have swelling or branching. I am not sure, though. I am just trying to console myself with this positive thought when I feel so uncertain and anxious.
Keep in mind, if your problem is happening at the dorsal root ganglia level, the skin punch may be normal.
The skin punch biopsy only shows the end points of the nerves.
The dorsal roots are the ganglia along the spine, where sensory information is processed, and transferred to the brain. These can be damaged by toxins, toxic drugs, viruses, bacteria, trauma, autoimmune attack etc.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread170562.html

Only the new MRI procedure outlined by en bloc can say for sure with this problem. It is difficult to get this diagnosis, and treatments still are lacking for it.

I posted some of that information on Clay's post.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idiopathic PN (06-06-2012)