View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It looks like my infusion will be 100% covered under Medicare Part B as long as I go to my doctors office or infusion center for it. I found a pretty good Prescription D plan but still have a few more phone calls to make about trying to obtain a medigap policy and which one is the best one for me.

While I am very relieved to find out that the infusion and IG medication will be 100% covered under Medicare Part B, I'm not happy that MG doesn't qualify in Medicares eyes to be a condition which would be approved for Home Infusion. The only thing I can think is that when on this therapy Medicare expects one to be more functional but I can truly say that there were times when I received the treatment every two weeks and it felt as if I could still do nothing but lay down. In the beginning 7 years ago I had to start IVIG infusions my disease was in full gear and it would take forever and a day just to walk a few feet to my bathroom. The thought of having to get up, wash up, comb hair, get dressed, possibly drive to infusion location by a specified time, stay there for 5 hours while getting infused and possibly driving back home when I was at my worst state of MG is unfathomable.

I have been blessed to have infusions at home for 7 years and can truly say that is the way to go if possible while receiving an IG Infusion for many of us. There is truly no place like home and PJ's and fuzzy slippers..lol
Currently I'm blessed to be at a point in my condition where I will be able to make it to an outside location for future infusions (although my driving is still limited at times) but one never knows with MG how long that will last or what will put you back in the pitfalls of MG.

I in no way want to appear to be ungrateful , as I would travel to the moon if I had to in order to have the IG infusion paid in full and I'm grateful to God that I won't have to pay 33% of the cost for EVERY infusion. I just wanted to state that in some cases Medicare should allow infusions to be administered in home of an MG patient if it's easier on the patient to do so.

In saying this, I may have had my last home infusion today and had to say goodbye to an awesomely wonderful nurse who has become more than just a nurse to me. She's my friend

I'll continue to keep everyone updated
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote