Thread: Burning Muscles
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

When I first started having muscle weakness I came across Polymyositis. Honestly I thought that was what was wrong with me. A lot of the muscle disorders have the same symptoms so it's basically a matter of ruling out things. I know PM can only be diagnosed with a muscle biopsy and that burning muscles due to inflammation is a symptom. I wasn't sure if it was for MG or not.

When I told my Neuro about the burning muscles he mentioned lactic acid and getting a biopsy if Mestinon doesn't work and MRI comes back normal. I looked through my med records and couldn't see any testing for lactate and pyruvate. My last UA was in February and everything was fine. My last metabolic panel was also done in February and everything came back normal as well.

When I first went to see the Rheumy in 2010 they mentioned that my kidney function was up which is why they thought I might have had SLE but it's been normal ever since. My SED Rate, CPK and CCP have been slightly elevated but I was told by Rheumy that it wasn't high enough to point to anything specific and that sometimes it's normally elevated in some people. I'm African American and have read that some of these tests are little more elevated in my race than in others.

My Neuro was a little concerned since they were elevated so rechecked them in April. He said the numbers were around the same, elevated but not extremely high. That's been a problem for me since 2009. Either everything comes back normal, or the tests are a little above normal but not enough to worry or warrant any kind of diagnosis.

Also, I've never been sick before in my life. I've read stories from people where they have a long history of getting sick and being hospitalized. I barely even got colds when I was growing up. So this hit me really hard because I've always been active. I'm coping though and not stressing. That's not going to do anything but make me sicker. Thanks for your help.
AnnaMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote