View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=ElyseHart;885355]I had a PT session two days ago and when the PT began to gently rub on the scalenes on the TOS side I thought I would jump off the table. She took it easy but every time she tried to gently work on a trigger point, I thought I was going to faint. I even broke out in a sweat.

So my question is this, should I be trying to stretch that side, even though it seems to trigger a flare? My PT does not know and said if it hurts, do not do it. I also have head forward posture and I am so tired of trying to correct it. I keep trying to gently pull my head back, but then when I catch myself in a mirror, I am always back to head forward.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to how the calmed the scalenes and also how to deal with this head forward problem? I can calm it by laying on my back in a corpse position, but I can't live my life like this and I think my neck muscles are getting weaker. Any suggestions are so appreciated.[/QUOTE

Hello, I have been in physio and massage therapy since 2006(had a 3 level ACDF and have bi-lateral TOS) and have many trigger points in my neck, scalenes, and thur shoulder blades and both arms, and many times laid there with tears and those sweats, but even tho it hurt I endured the massages and PT and the exercises because I felt if I don't then all my muscles will just sieze up I won't be able to move my neck properly at all. I do turn my head left, right, up, down and lift my shoulders up and down several times to help with the scalenes and I do my exercises 3 x's daily along with heat and ice packs which help the swelling of your muscles also a warm bath with epsom salts is very soothing. I also have the poked-nosed forward head posture(what my vascular surgeon cald it) lol my hubby is always saying put your head up and stand tall dear, blah blah blah lol, I know its difficult but I really try to keep my posture straight and my head held high, I'm afraid of getting a hump in my neck from being slumped all the time.
Good luck and take care,
Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote