View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default on friendships and discussions about supportiveness

Yesterday I was having lunch with a friend, one of those who has become "strangely and newly absent" since my health situations started occurring.

(I am undx'd, working with a neuro, maybe MS or maybe myasthenia or who knows.)

My friend's comment was "I am going to just assume this is like the flu.... that it's going to go away and resolve itself, and that you'll be back to normal any day now".

Ok... interesting, thanks for that. Thinking.

Then I worked up the courage to speak up for something quite deep that's been hiding inside me. I explained that sometimes, if I feel blue and discouraged, I catch myself thinking that no one will want to support me in friendship because I'm "damaged goods".

The friend replied, "Well, so what? If I go away, so what? And if your other supporters go away? So what? You'll make new friends, you'll adapt."

I had to pause and take it all in as neutrally as I could, because his response was valid. In hindsight, I think I was looking for a response of "I will be here for you in this time, we all will." <-- didn't get that

Thanks for letting me share. Still kind of processing it and gently guiding the experience into the Positive mindset instead of allowing it to become negative.
restorativepose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
agate (06-02-2012), ANNagain (06-02-2012), barb02 (06-02-2012), Debbie D (06-02-2012), Dejibo (06-02-2012), Judy2 (06-02-2012), Kitt (06-02-2012), Kitty (06-02-2012), Koala77 (06-04-2012), SallyC (06-02-2012)