View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseHart View Post
Thank you for all the advice and support. I have an appointment with my vascular surgeon on Monday. I need to go back over these posts and write out my questions to ask him. At the top of my list is this statement from Marc, "I hope everyone can learn from my experience and find someone who can truly evaluate the source of their TOS and design a proper plan for therapy so we aren't all stuck trying to run through a brick wall with fruitless stretches and exercises." I don't know what the source of my TOS really is other than it was caused by an auto accident where I had side whiplash so badly I was knocked unconscious.

I do know I have arterial compression on the right side which was confirmed with two separate doppler studies. An EMG showed no compressed nerves. I don't understand this. If I don't have a detectable neuroma, why do I have pain? Can a compressed artery (only in arm elevated positions) cause so much pain?

My vascular surgeon said all PT would be a waste of time and said only two exercises have been shown to help - shoulder shruggs and push-ups. However, a top notch hand surgeon and a second vascular surgeon said that PT is a must to keep things moving and and to strengthen the muscles around the scalenes so they are not doing all of the work.

I wish I knew the root of the problem. I see others don't always know at first either.

Elyse, so much depends on the pt and if they know anything about TOS. I have tried 4 and 2 chiros. To be fair,2 were treating my disc problem before I was diagnosed with TOS.After TOS diagnosis I was seeing Joyce Wilkinson who was highly recommended on this site, but it wasnt helping. One is a nationally recognized Chiro. ALL of them and the exercises made me feel worse. Recently I started going to marcs doc 50 miles away and so far it has been worth it. They do rib mobilization and soft tissue work.I may be able to avoid surgery. I do not have arterial symptoms though.

Good Luck! Did you ever see Dr. Atasoy in Louisville? He seems to be a good Diagnostician.I posted a link tovhis article for someone,I dont remember if it was you.

Last edited by Jomar; 07-03-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: req by poster
jkl626 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote