View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

EMG if I recall correctly , only tests the major nerves and not the smaller sensory nerves.
It is more of a "ruling out" tool for any other causes like c spine or cubital tunnel or carpal tunnel etc. I've read that if they test the C8 area and it is slow then that can point a bit more to TOS. That might only happen for a few and not all cases. But maybe not all test that area, I don't know if the guy i went to did or not..

Sharon Butler, some PTs & bodyworker types mention sticky fascia /tissues that can cause many sx - plus the muscles spasming & clamping down on nerves and blood flow...
I think that was causing a lot of my problems, so it was more easily reduced to mild/ chronic after 2.5 yrs of tx & self tx , and of course removal of the reasons why I got TOS in the first place - my job- w/repetitive work & quotas.

[My vascular surgeon said all PT would be a waste of time and said only two exercises have been shown to help - shoulder shruggs and push-ups.]
I totally disagree with this statement.
I don't really agree w/ anyone (surgeon or otherwise) that says "only" certain things may help. Just not that cut and dried.
We are all a different and something may help one of us but not another.

[However, a top notch hand surgeon and a second vascular surgeon said that PT is a must to keep things moving ]
I do agree with this statement more - but it has to be with a very good and expert PT. (but some may be too set in "their plan") they have to constantly communicate w/ you as to how you are doing and if any sx increases, modify the tx..

Last edited by Jomar; 06-02-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added more
Jomar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote