View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If I was in a flare up and having neck spasm---- then no pt, chiro, stretching, exercising could help me. Had to get the flare ups/spasms under control first. I believe in cardiovascular exersize more than lifting weights. Cardio exercise reduces peripheral vascular resistance, improves blood flow, is aerobic, and causes a temporary decrease in inflammatory cytokines and other things that contribute to your neuropathic pain. After much trial and error (and pain) i have found that there are only a few resistance exercises that I can do. Everything else eventually causes major flare ups.

I'll share a story about muscle spasms and valium. I was talking to an older guy who used to dislocate his shoulder often. One time, too much time went by after the shoulder dislocated before it was put back into socket. The Dr. told him that his shoulder muscles spasmed and when that happens, he is not able to put the shoulder back in. The Dr. explained that he must take care of the muscle spasms first, then he will be able to manipulate the joint. The Dr. injected valium into the shoulder area to relax the muscles and then he was able to put the shoulder back in.

My feelings about TOS surgery and diagnostics: Diagnostics are hit and miss and there aren't any that consistently and reliably confirm TOS. I think the best are the MRA, MRI neurography (the one done in pasadena), and the physical exam done in the Dr's office (by a skilled TOS Dr.).
TOS surgery is also hit and miss and mostly is an exploratory surgery. The Dr. might know that you have TOS, but he won't know exactly where it is and what is going on inside until he opens you up (thus the exploratory nature of TOS surgery).
nukenurse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote