View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

joshie's parents,

You are doing everything just right. I know the problem with getting jarred in the car. My trick for tolerating car rides if the road has bumps is to sit with my shoulders forward and off the back of the seat. The curved back has much more ability to absorb road bumps. Just a single manhole cover used to be a problem for me. Stopping too fast would risk whiplash.

I doubt the pediatric neurologist will make much difference. You are already doing everything possible. His neck is probably in need of the most attention. You should check on his neck posture when he is trying to relax in bed. Too much neck angle can be counter to recovery. It would be better for him to be sitting up with his shoulders supported than just his head and neck if he is not sleeping flat on his back. You'll have to watch to figure out how to help him with neck position. I know it makes a huge difference to me and my injury was 11 years ago.

If he sleeps on his side, try to help him keep his neck straight. Maybe an extra pillow or thicker pillow will help when he is on his side. It may help to watch him sleep to make sure he is breathing consistently. Upper neck inflammation can cause breathing interruptions. This can make PCS symptoms much worse. I doubt it is an issue at his age but it is worth watching him sleep to see.

My best to you and Joshie.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote