Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
^^I was surprised when you said that R-lipoic might affect Biotin levels. I guess I had a false sense of the "safety" of R-lipoic.

One really has to keep track of the big picture, i addition to looking into individual supplements.

Thanks, mrsD!
It is not a false sense of safety exactly.... since lipoic acid doesn't show toxicity itself. What is thought to happen is that the transporter system that moves it around is shared by lipoic acid, and B5, along with the biotin. What it is however, is that
one of the 3 that use that transporter gets blocked and therefore becomes ineffective because it can't do its job.

Normally our bodies make lipoic acid in small amounts all the time. It is when large amounts of any of the 3 or all of them are taken in supplement form, that the transporter system gets overloaded.
And keep in mind it is early days so far with this new discovery. That is why it is difficult to find information on.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote