View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 02:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jam - welcome.

I have not a thymectomy - but many folks on here have..and lately there has been some discussions on what kind of procedure, the pros and cons, etc.

Use the search for that JoMar provided - and you will undoubtedly come up with more info than you may have wanted.

Are they removing you thymus because of hyperplasia, tumor, or neither?
What work ups have you had that make a thymectomy warranted?

Of course every doc is different..but sometimes the reason to remove and the size of your thymus are the driving factors for what kind of surgery is an option for your case.

If it were me, I would want to know all the details: procedure, recovery path, length of time in hospital, length of home recovery and what to expect, range of outcomes. Worst case and bet case scenarios. The pros and cons of doing nothing (not particularly relavent in case of tumor).

While I haven't had a thymectomy, I have had enough other surgeries to know that you need to go to your appointment with your questions WRITTEN on a paper. Otherwise, you will forget something you really want to ask. And be prepared... many surgeons get a bit ruffled when asked too many questions...so your diplomacy must be superb!

Good luck with apt - - let us know how it goes.
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-03-2012)