Thread: PCS - 3 months
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As far as Omega-3s go (whether by fish oil or a plant-based source such as algae or flax seed), there is a recommended dose for heart health (I think 200 mg?) and a recommended dose for brain health (900 mg). The higher dose is necessary to see impact on cognitive function.

Regarding your neck issue, this is the type of thing a physiatrist could help with. They specialize in rehabilitation and could help isolate the issue and/or refer you to a physical therapist if necessary.

Several users on the board who have neck issues have had good success with NUCCA chiropractors. This is a much more gentle type of therapy than traditional "twist-and-pop" type treatments. You can look up a practitioner here: http://www.nucca.org and hopefully someone who has done this type of treatment will chime in with more info.

As far as going back to work, check out this booklet from Mayo Clinic: http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/re...-employers.cfm

Also, plan ahead to take things VERY slowly and gradually and to play it by ear as far as backing off when needed in response to worsening symptoms. You are going to have to do whatever you can to stay symptom-free, whether that means a shorter workday, taking breaks throughout, lighter workload, etc. It may take a long time to transition back to full-time, full-stress workload.

I tried to go back part-time this fall (I am a teacher) in a one-to-one instead of classroom setting and found it was ultimately still too much, so I have been off again since mid-year this year.

Was experiencing:
Persistent headaches, fatigue, slowed cognitive functions, depression
Symptoms exacerbated by being in a crowd, watching TV, driving, other miscellaneous stress & sensory overload
Sciatica/piriformis syndrome with numbness & loss of reflex

Largely recovered after participating in Nedley Depression Recovery Program March 2012:

Eowyn Rides Again: My Journey Back from Concussion

Eowyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote