View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Joshies parents,

I'm so sorry for what you and Joshie are going through. It is agonizing to see your child injured in this way. My daughter, who is now 13 y/o has sadly had several concussions. When she was 10 she sustained a very serious concussion in a gymnastics class, which resulted in prolonged sx of concussion that eventually resolved after two months. It was at that time that we realized that she had had for certain 2 prior concussions. It seems she is again experiencing PCS from having run a 10k one month ago. To say I feel badly about it is quite an understatement.

As Mark said, you are doing everything right! I think protecting Joshie from the radiation of the CT scan, as well as the general anesthesia needed for an MRI, is a conservative and protective course of action. We have done the same. Of course if there is sudden/dramatic change you would re-evaluate. I will say that the first time around we were not told to protect our daughter by keeping her home and it took me about a week to get my bearings and realize that she had to be protected from further physical/cognitive/emotional impact to her vulnerable brain. I feel lots of hope for Joshi to do very well--my daughter did very well and she had previous concussions that undoubtably made her more vulnerable. The thing I wish I had known is that with this sort of hx someone does get much, much better but they will always be more vulnerable. I wish that after she had come through the worst of it that I had continued to read and learn so that I could offer her the best guidance possible. The aftercare we recieved consisted of the neurologist telling me that a hit to my daughter's head would not be the same as a hit to someone else's head. That is not enough information to help a parent guide a child who has had PCS/multiple concussion. Keep us informed of how Joshie is doing. Your doing an amazing job with him on the home front.
pretdou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote