View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Jamh1. Welcome. I'm sorry, I haven't had a T either.

Is your MG well-controlled right now? Many people have plasmapheresis before a thymectomy to help keep MG under control.

There are drugs that can make MG worse. Muscle relaxers, which can make MG worse, will often be used to intubate patients. A pediatric gas can be used effectively instead of that, such as Sevoflurane. Morphine will more than likely be used for pain but they try to take MG patients off of it as quickly as possible since it can greatly reduce breathing capacity.

As far as how many thymectomies, you have to ask how many they've been in charge of, not only been involved with! There aren't a lot of MG patients, so it's hard to say if the number of them is the key to feel reassured. They should have enough knowledge to patiently explain the procedure to you. If they get flustered, it might be because they don't have the knowledge or don't feel confident in doing it. Did you research the surgeon(s)?

You should talk about drugs, procedure, recovery time, complications, drug interactions (tell them everything you take, including OTC's), other conditions you have and, perhaps, if they have references from other patients.

What your instincts tell you might be the most important indicator of the confidence you feel during the appt. with the surgeon. And don't feel shy about making a phone call after the appt. if you have more questions. Ask them if you can call them!

When is your thymectomy scheduled for? Is it soon?

Many people have had it and done fine. You'll need help afterwards. Depending upon what type of thymectomy you have, you'll have physical restrictions for a certain period of time.

I really hope it goes well for you. More people should be here to help you soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote