View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Flector Patch for MCL tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_MCL View Post
I was just prescribed the Flector patch this morning for a tear in my MCL.

On the one hand, I was expecting another steroid injection when I saw the doctor this morning, so I was relieved when he offiered the patch as an alternative.

On the other hand, it is VERY expensive, and after reading the prescribing information, I'm really not very impressed with what it offers. It seems like glorified ibuprofen, which I could get at $11.00 for a bottle of 180. Also, it contains gelatin, which is a no-no for vegetarians.

Be very glad that your insurance brings the cost of the patches to $.33 each. Even with my insurance (United Healthcare) it cost me $2.00 per patch for a prescription of 30.

So far I've had the patch on for about an hour. The only difference I notice is that it is sort of cool, being a gel and all. I could have gotten that from Icy Hot.

I know I sound a little bitter, but that is because I am. I Googled Flector this morning and the most abundant information I found is about how it is going to make the manufacturers and investors rich due to an intensive sales force and its appeal to insurance compaines.

My doctor only gave me 15 days worth of patches. This is hardly going to repair my torn MCL which I have been nursing for almost 5 months, so I am left to believe that there was some incentive for him to prescribe this medication.

I'll keep you posted.
This post appears to have been a while ago, but I wondered how long it has been since your knee was healed...I did the same thing to my knee four months ago...cannot take anesthesia, so no operation...my physician gave me a couple of boxes of the patches...loved it the first time I used it, but the cost will keep me from getting them...loss of insurance (and job) has now dictated what procedures and medicines I can take...this will not be on that list of few aids...stinks without insurance! Oh, well! It is life!
Lutie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote