View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
Can PT helps in relieving some pain in the feet instead of a massage?
Do you have any edema/swelling as well?

It sounds like some of us have some similarities and some differences, which seems to be par for PN.

I've had extreme morning edema/swelling, tiredness, & pain in my feet so bad it's effected my balance, that got somewhat better later in the day. Other days, depending on my level of foot activity, got worse as the day progressed.

My way of dealing with it (I hesitate to call it a solution, 'cuz it isn't) is manifold. Massage ("squeezing the edema out"), moderate activity/walking (even with slightly tight shoes that help press some fluid out while active), and diet have all contributed, and tai chi is helping me with balance issues. I still need/use my cane, but I don't always fall over doing the tai chi movements. The foot/leg muscles used in keeping balance are the ones that hurt/cramp the most, which tells me that they are out of use and need slow strengthening. Everything in moderation seems to be keeping the whole system in balance, and/but with varying activity requirements of life (never knowing what it's going to throw at us) there are always going to be fluctuations...

I think PT might help, but it might not. I think it's worth a try to find out, because you may learn something from it that will help you figure something (else) out. If it can't hurt to try it, then it can't hurt to try it.

Like other things we do for PN, I don't think this is a "do this and it fixes the problem" situation. I get the impression (from "feetback" - feedback from my feet ) that this is going to be an ongoing situation -- another lifestyle change until healing progresses, and then maybe still...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
glenntaj (06-06-2012), mrsD (06-05-2012)