View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Mark for that description, that totally makes sense!

Lightrail1, wow! I can't even imagine what you went through! Not remembering certainly IS a blessing for you.

My ER visit falls into the 2 hours after my fall, so I have almost no recollection of it other than bits and pieces. Like standing in the ER waiting room after I was told I could go home, wondering why I was there, how I got there and why I was wearing my riding boots in town. I was left "unattended" for a few moments upon leaving and almost re-registered myself by asking a nurse these questions.

I've had many falls off horses in my life and I have always remembered each and every one, the sensation of falling, the impact, I've always been able to play them back over and over. I've had to deal with fear and nerves upon returning to riding.

While its definitely a blessing that I don't remember this one, I think the replaying it over and over would not be good! But, I'm also not afraid or worried about riding again.

That combined with my new found impulsiveness, I'm finding it difficult to stay on the ground. The one thing so far that's helped, is I definitely need a new helmet and I tried some on a few weeks ago and they just felt all wrong on my head, so I didn't buy one.

Not having a new helmet is one of the only things that stops me... going helmet shopping is unpleasant, the noise, the lights, the 40 mins drive to the tack store, the fitting them on my head. (I'm sure its psychological, but they hurt when I put them on!)

Its like a constant struggle with myself. Reminding myself that I got here from a riding accident and that I'm not well enough to ride. Impulsiveness, poor judgement and bad memory... not a great combination to keep yourself safe.

What a weird journey this is!!
Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lightrail11 (06-05-2012)