View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I agree with getting (at least) a second opinion on any cutting - maybe more. Surgeons live to cut, and cut to live -- we don't.

I wouldn't be so scared/concerned about the EMG. There are two types -- surface and intramuscular; the latter involves tiny needles. It might be uncomfortable, but not as much, as long, or as invasive as any surgery. It might help to read up on these procedures so you can discuss them (and your concerns/fears) with your doctor/s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromyography

Your concrns about the surgery are, IMO, valid, hence the multiple opinions; there may be less invasive alternatives, and/or better surgeons for you.

If it were me, I would definitely put the brakes on, research this all very thoroughly, and try every other alternative there is before even considering surgery. Actually, I HAVE been through something similar, followed my own advice, found surgeons who did not agree with the cutters, and I have never regretted opting out for other avenues.

If you do agree that surgery is the best choice/option for you, please consider/remember that, while it may correct the mechanical issues of bone vs. nerve, it may not alleviate the pain or other symptoms, and that you may still have to deal with those thereafter.

I know it may sound like some of us are trying to sway you one way or the other, but that's not it. No-one can decide this for you, and many of us, having been down this road, just want you to be aware of everything the doctors may not be being candid about. We want you to be fully informed and aware of options & possibilities in order to make the best decision for you, and avoid mistakes of the past.

Whatever your decision, we'll support it and you, and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-05-2012), Sarayuwx (06-11-2012)