View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwk View Post
I don't know what else to do.
Investigate all of the alternatives. Many surgeons specialize in just one, or a very few, procedures. That makes sense if that's the procedure that's really best for you. In fact, it's the kind of surgeon you want because they have a lot of experience doing that procedure. The question then becomes, is that the right procedure for you, or is s/he seeing your problem as a nail because all s/he has is a hammer?

Early in my journey when I was told how bad my cervical discs were, I asked if they couldn't just replace the bad one(s). The surgeon told me it wasn't possible -- that cervical discs couldn't be replaced. Come to find out later that it indeed is possible, but that surgeon didn't do that procedure -- he was experienced in another.

It could be that the procedure your surgeon wants to do is best; OTOH, I'd want to know for sure. This is where becoming your own advocate, doing your own research, and getting multiple opinions come in. There are different kinds/types of fusion procedures. Some involve a cage, and some involve an artificial disc. Some are anterior (going through the front) and some are posterior (through the back) and I recently heard of one that went through both. Some are quite invasive and some are minimally invasive microsurgeries involving very tiny incisions and done via camera. Again, if it were me, I would want to know exactly what is going on in my neck, about every potential procedure to correct it, and be involved in deciding which one to go with. THEN I'd pick a surgeon.

Leesa, Ginnie, or others may have more info/input on this.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
drwk (06-07-2012), ginnie (06-10-2012)