View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hit my head falling off of a horse too. But I was not wearing a helmet, as I was completely unaware of the risk I was taking. I fell off of the horse and I now have no memory of the half-hour before I fell and the 8 or so hours after I fell. There are a few short memories, but even more there are sensations that I remember. Such as being embarrassed because one of the guys I had been riding with was carrying me to the car. I do not remember him carrying me or why I needed to be carried, but I do remember the sensation of being extremely embarrassed and the sensation of being carried. About a year and a couple months later I went in for a CT scan because I had gotten another concussion and the sound that the CT scanner made was surprisingly familiar even though the only other time that I had had a CT scan in my life was just after my first concussion and to this day I have no memory of the hospital or anything that happened there.

The most frustrating thing to me is that I had been riding with only guys that day and none of them felt that remembering details was important. But it is the details that help me to remember little things. Such as when 2 years latter I found out that I had been carried to the car, the feeling of embarrassment made more sense to me, and a little piece of the puzzle fell into place. I have begged each one of them individually to give me details, and only every once in a while does one slip out of them. I am so hungry for the details.

About 10 hours of my life is missing and it still bothers me 3 years later. It is also frustrating/funny because almost that entire semester is also very fuzzy in my memory. I was a second semester freshman and I remember very little of that time. A friend of mine jokes that she can tell me that anything happened that semester and I have little choice but to believe her because I truly do not remember. I have had over 10 concussions since the first one and I have not lost any significant memory since then (that I know of :P) But, my memory is very poor and that is almost as frustrating.

Anyways, good luck! Wear helmets, but most especially
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT GET A SECOND CONCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fell off a horse in late winter of 2009 blacked out for a couple seconds, had amnesia for 10 hours (still don't remember this time), had 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, 1 MRA all negative. Since the first concussion I have continually knocked my head into different things purely by accident or from being stupid. These many concussions over a short period of time have caused
constant migraines, nausea, and dizziness/lack of balance.
Migraine triggers are:
light sensitivity (especially to florescent or bright lights)
sound sensitivity (especially to high pitched or loud sounds)
temperature sensitivity (especially to cold or extreme heat)
activity (especially if breathing increases or head is jostled)
pressure on head (sinuses, hats, headbands, sunglasses, pony-tails)
lacks or quality (food, sleep, water)
tension (stress, tight muscles, tired eyes, sickness)
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (06-07-2012)