View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 04:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie... I didn't realize that act was in effect now. That's great news because when hubby ever gets another job, his new Insurance cannot deny me due to MG. It's been eight months and he's still unemployed
His last severance pay check will be on June 30th and then unemployment kicks in. Of course that means that his income will be cut in half and that's another reason why I'm not a happy camper right now.

Since the ONLY medigap policy I can get costs almost as much as what it would cost me to retain Cobra coverage just for me it's looking like I am going to have to purchase the single Cobra policy for a little while. So expensive but when I think about it, it makes more sense in the fact that my IVIG will continue to be fully covered with the private plan and I should be able to continue on without worrying about a disruption in my IG infusions. Maybe I will even be able to extend the IVIG a little more in between times while still on Cobra.

It's going to be a financial strain beyond belief but if I can't be denied for my "pre-existing condition" by hubby's new insurance whenever he does find employment then this may just be the road I must travel.

Just wish I could cut some costs with my monthly expenses but doesn't look like that can happen. We don't have luxuries of life, just the neccessities so you can't cut out what you need to survive. And with two teenage children it's really hard to cut back on much of anything.

Being on SSDI and hubby being unemployed is a situation which I would have never imagine happening to us. I just have to always remember that My help comes from the Lord and He will continue to make a way for me. Even when I start to panic and complain a little.

Thanks for that tidbit of info Annie. It really does help to know that medicare doesn't have to automatically turn into my Primary coverage just because hubby lost his previous job. At least the Cobra coverage will buy me a little more time and that's another thing I should be thankful for
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote