View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I was trying to verify that *77 or # 77 number thing- and I ended up finding this-
from TrendMicro
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoax...ial+%2377+Hoax

[ *Threats
o Scams & Hoaxes

Dial #77 Hoax

Type: Urban Legend

Description:

This hoax informs its target recipients of a new emergency cell phone number, #77, which connects to a local highway patrol or sheriff's office. It actually narrates the story of someone's daughter who was saved from a criminal posing as a policeman in an unmarked police car. It states that the girl had immediately called the said emergency number and the police men were able to rescue her in no time.

The Urban Legend Zeitgeist could not find any reported incident that closely matches the described event. According to them, dialing #77 or *77 on a cell phone might contact the highway patrol, but only if the person happens to be in an area that supports the said feature.

Also, the email mentions that the incident allegedly took place in Virginia, which has now converted its emergency hotline to 911. Therefore, #77 may no longer be functioning.

Trend Micro advises all recipients to ignore and not to forward the said email message.

Original Message:

Please read everyone. Very good information to pass on, especially to young women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never even knew about this #77 feature! This actually happened to one of my dearest new friend's daughter. Her daughter, Lauren, is 19 yrs old and a sophomore in college. This happened to her over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1 PM in the afternoon. Lauren was driving from here, Winchester, to visit a friend in Warrenton. For Those of you who are familiar with the area, she was taking 50 East towards Middleburg and then was going to cut over to 66 via 17.

Those of you who aren't familiar with this area - 50 East is a main road (and two lanes each side with a big median separating East and West lanes), but is somewhat secluded, meaning mostly residents along the road, rather than commercial businesses. Lauren was actually following behind a state police car shortly after she left Winchester and was going just over 65 mph since she was following behind him. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. My friend and her husband have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a gas station, etc.

So Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there were 2 police cars, one unmarked behind her and one marked in front of her. The dispatcher checked if there were 2 police cars where she was. There wasn't and she was connected to the policeman in front of her and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way.

Ten min later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground..........the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

Thank God Lauren listened to her parents!

She was shaken up, but fine. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car in a secluded area. In fact, even a marked car after dark should follow you to a populated area. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a"safe" place.

You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did. I am so thankful that my friend was just sitting at our book club meeting telling us this scary story, rather than us at her house consoling her!

Be safe and pass this on to your friends. Awareness is everything]

the google link with more hoax info-
http://www.google.com/search?q=Dial+...ient=firefox-a

But I do know if you are unsure about your safety - you can signal to the officer real or not real { by using flashers and driving slowly} and proceed to a well lit, safe and busy area before stopping.

You can use 911 to call and verify - especially if you are at all nervous about if a officer is real or not.

So far I haven't found out what *77 or #77 is for, if anything.