View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Shari - I am so sorry about this health insurance nightmare. I know when I went through it, I was appalled at the costs.

FWIW - my understanding is that when your hubby gets another job with health care benefits, you can not be denied because his coverage will come from a group policy. Company group policies have never been able to deny pre-existing conditions though they can limit the amount(s) of coverage to all policy holders based on the parameters of the package the Company purchased.

Large companies have the best coverages because their 'group' is very large. Small and very small companies usually have expensive policies (if they offer coverage at all) and expect their eligible workers to bear a higher percentage of the insurance cost compared to large companies.

More and more employers make sure they don't hire for more than 32 (or 35) hours / week which makes you ineligible for any company benefits. Labor statistics show that temp and part time employment is up while full time employment remains very depressed. Benefits are a big part of the reason.

Single pay policies are where the insurance companies stick it to any one with a preexisting condition...because by definition we are only a group of one!! They can pretty much figure out based on your history and your condition what you will cost them and price accordingly.

Based on what I pay in my state's high risk pool (for a policy with a $7500 deductible!), that $409 you quoted for supplemental coverage doesn't surprise me. (Oh yes - my neuro told me to be sure any policy I purchased didn't excluded or limit use of 'blood products'...apparently some do.)

Now re: Cobra - my understanding is that you can not get coverage by yourself. Since you are the dependent, your husband has to get Cobra and then enlist you as a dependent. Check the pricing carefully. It may be more cost effective to use Cobra for the whole family...even though it will cost more per month. Also be VERY careful with the company administering Cobra. They go out of their way to find ways to cancel you (don't be even an hour late with a payment!).

I wish I knew of other options. The only thing I can think of is to contact your state's high risk pool to see if you can get your supplemental policy through them at a more reasonable rate. It might be worth a try.
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote