View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the info Suev. I actually can continue the Cobra coverage for just myself. There were many options to choose from on the initial paperwork regarding coverage and one of them was for the spouse only. We selected the Family coverage at the time because payment of coverage was the responsibility of my husbands previous employer during his 8 month severance period. The family coverage will cost us $1700 per month if we continue that coverage after June 30, 2012 There is NO way that we can afford that. It's already going to be difficult to pay over $552 just for me alone.

I just spoke with the Cobra Plan to find out what I needed to do before July 1st to continue coverage just for me and she indicated that all I need to do is have my husband make the changes in writing to inform them of his decision to drop himself and my children from the policy and continue my coverage alone. I have no choice but to keep it due to the expense of my IVIG. My daughter already has medicaid and will continue to have it until she's 18 so she is okay without Cobra coverage. I'll have to find out about getting my son insured through the state somehow as he should qualify since dad is unemployed and mom is on SSDI. Have no idea what to do about my husband except pray that he remains healthy until he can find full time work with benefits. We will be sending in that payment for my coverage along with the letter indicating the changes.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be where we are right now. I honestly thought that my husband would have found a full time job with benefits WELL BEFORE his 8 month severance period was up but here we are.

Where did the time go? I've asked myself that question on more occassions than not lately.

Thanks to everyone who has allowed me to vent
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote