View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

DocJohn has this nailed.

Not only is the research weak, but it also does not normalize the study cohort. They do not remove the power of suggestion as they analyze the 'self-reporting' of improvements.

Is the self-report of improvement a true improvement or is it just a "I did not know I could do that" ?

Remember the old axiom about lies. There are three kinds of lies: Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

I have been saying for ages that these programs do not cause new brain functions but rather strengthen under-developed brain functions.

Learning better focus will provide better recall. It is not a change in the brain's function. It is a change in how the person uses their brain.

It is no different than exercising balance skills. Did the exercise cause a skill to develop that was not there? or did the exercise just strengthen a skill that was lazy?

The evidence appears to support the second concept.

The value with those of us with memory and cognitive struggles is simple. It can help us strengthen skills that are weak but undamaged so we can use them to compensate for other skills that are poor because they are damaged.

But, do we need to spend $15 per month at Luminosity or $400 at Posit Science to get this exercise? If money is not an issue, go for it. But if it squeezes the budget, there are plenty of free ways to exercise our brains.

In the old days, we developed these skills by being more active and connected to the various activities in our world. My generation did not grow up with the limited focus of Sesame Street and Electric Light Company. We got out and used our imaginations and brains to understand the world. We were not fed 'what to think.' Instead, we were given opportunities to learn how to expand our thinking. No $15 monthly payment and computer time needed.

Thanks DocJohn.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote