View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The school disabilities office usually focuses on access for those in wheelchairs, etc. and deaf and blind issues. Sometimes, they can provide note takers.

They don't know how to handle cognitive, memory and over-stimulation issues. The accommodations that will help would be:
a quiet place to take tests
extra time to take tests
sound amplification head phones will help you focus on lecture material
recording lectures and taking pictures of white-board/black-board information

A good high resolution and zoom camera will allow you to take pictures and/or videos of lectures. A very good value is the Olympus SZ-12 that is currently on sale at Staples for $169. It will record hours of lectures including the sound with an 8 gig SD card. Then you can watch the lecture again on a laptop.

Some times you need to just quietly tell an instructor you need these "reasonable accommodations. " You follow up by saying that according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, they are required to provide these reasonable accommodations. If they reject your request, you can suggest having your attorney contact the instructor and/or school.

You may want to have this information prepared in written form. When you hand them a letter, they often are quicker to take you serious. Getting the NeuroPsych Assessment report will help support your requests.

You need to seriously consider your future with stress as a major limiting factor. A degree and career in a stressful industry is not a good idea. I had to start making changes in my career goals and activities back in 1977 when I was only 22.

A low stress life will serve you and any prospective family very well.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote