View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I had to be very careful with some of the resistance machines at the gym. Also the treadmill bothered me.

I used an elliptical instead with less foot pain, but I had to avoid
the calf muscle machine. That really did me in, I only used it once!
You sit on a bench and work a pedal like the old manual antique sewing machines. It took me a week to recover from just a few minutes on that one!

Depending on your age, don't put much weight on the resistance machines. Instead go for lighter weights and more reps. Our tendons are not as elastic when we are older. You can really hurt yourself if you try too much, which is seductive. A tendon injury does not heal well..so avoid them at all costs.

And lastly I couldn't really tolerate the bikes too well. A recumbent at 15 minutes was my maximum. Longer and I had terrible foot pain.

The steam rooms feel so good, but if you have nerve pain, you might trigger that with the heat. I triggered my dormant MP pain, that way. So all in all the gym can be an obstacle course, so do be careful.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idiopathic PN (06-07-2012), Kitt (06-10-2012), malawigirl08 (06-16-2012), Nervous (06-07-2012)