View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
I'd skip any more chiropractic due to the nature & severity of your cervical issues, even if they're limiting work to lower down. I'm a little surprised the neuros didn't advise against - mine did.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...irostroke.html
While chiropractors go over the line at times, you should know that quackwatch is run by a psychiatrist who is not at all likely trained in physical medicine so it is not exactly an unbiased source to cite. Some of what he says may be true; while other information is junk science and represents his own bias against the profession. For example, he alludes that stroke and manipulation run hand in hand while the literature points out that the incidence is 1 in 1 to 3 million manipulations; not even enough really, to list it on informed consent. You have a higher chance of dying from a bee sting or being struck by lightening (this is not an endorsement of chiropractic, just my opinion of a mis-statement). Another perspective, roughly 1 in 1000 die from disc surgery and prescription anti-inflammatory medication. There are many more scientific studies that prove the limited value of manipulation. In fact there is one study out there from a couple years ago that states that you are more likely to have a stroke shortly after seeing your GP than your chiropractor (is that one on his site?). And besides, I know several orthopedists and neurosurgeons as well as neurologists and GP's who refer to chiropractors. They can't be all bad as there are good and bad of everything! Oh...BTW, manipulation under anesthesia is a procedure developed by osteopaths some 50 years ago that actually has very favorable outcomes in the literature. Some chiropractors are trained and certified in this procedure and do quite well with it.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote