View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
While chiropractors go over the line at times, you should know that quackwatch is run by a psychiatrist who is not at all likely trained in physical medicine so it is not exactly an unbiased source to cite.
Ralph Nader is not an automotive engineer either, and most watchdog sites & organizations are not unbiased; neither are pro-/endorsing sites, professional associations or the like.

Actually, Dr. Barrett is retired, and while he runs Quackwatch (and 23 other watchdog sites), content is contributed and reviewed (when appropriate) by an international network of people from all kinds of backgrounds/professions, including a former chiropractor who contributed:
Quote:
Reader Comment

From a former chiropractor:

I have been doing a vascular surgery rotation for the past month, which is part of my postgraduate medical education. During my chiropractic training, when the subject of manipulation-induced stroke was brought up, we were reassured that "millions of chiropractic adjustments are made each year and only a few incidents of stroke have been reported following neck manipulation." I recently found that two of the patients on my vascular service that suffered a cerebrovascular accident (stroke) had undergone neck manipulation by a chiropractor, one the day that symptoms had begun and the other four days afterward. If indeed the incidence of stroke is rare, one M.D. would see a case of manipulation-induced CVA about every 10 years. But I believe I have seen two in the past month! I therefore urge my medical colleagues to question their patients regarding recent visits to a chiropractor/neck manipulation when confronted with patients that present with the neurologic symptoms of stroke. I also urge potential chiropractic patients to not allow their necks to be manipulated in any way. The risk-to-benefit ratio is much too high to warrant such a procedure.
—Rob Alexander, M.D.
http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...irostroke.html
I could have cited many many articles, but IMO, Dr. Barrett's was the most comprehensive, best written, and well-referenced I could find in short time. The article's sources are there at the bottom for anyone to follow-up.

I'm sure we could argue this and cite contradicting sources til the cows come home. If people are interested/concerned, they can read all sides of the issues....

Google: chiropractic stroke
Google: chiropractic quackery
Google: debunking chiropractic
(and related searches at the bottoms of these search pages)

...and decide for themselves.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 06-07-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: correction and addition in blue
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-07-2012)