View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Margarite,
I'm sorry to hear your accident was horse related. Was riding a one time thing for you or had you ridden before?

I understand the "hunger" for details surrounding the incident. My husband has the most info, being as I fell right into the path of him and his horse, but even with that, there are things I'd like to know that no one in the group could answer. I'm trying to come to terms with realizing I will never know all I want to know. Tricky.

Lightrail, I'm glad you've kept your sense of humour.

My judgement before the accident was pretty good, but since... meh, not near as solid. We live rurally and it doesn't come up that I need to cross roads, but I know in parking lots etc, I have to remind myself to stay out of the way of cars and such.

Mark, I know helmets don't prevent concussions, but I figure they are still very worth while. I'm positive I would be way worse off or dead had I not had mine on. You can't fall from 9-10 feet, land with 200lbs+ right on the back / top of your head, at speed onto hard frozen ground without a helmet and walk away. (Walked away in a daze with no memories, but walked away!)

I get the suggestion of taking less risks and I appreciate the caring behind that. I'm just not sure if there is a less risk way to keep riding. I had already "retired" from breaking, training and competing and was just pleasure riding on safe, well trained horses.

The day I fell was really just a fluke. My horse did act up, but nothing that should've been an issue, I'm stuck much worse. But a bad combination of the horse's attitude, a branch that I ducked to miss and getting my foot hung up temporarily in my stirrup lead to me falling on my head. (I was wearing proper footwear etc).

I'm just trying to figure out if a life without riding is a life worth living. If you can't pursue your passion, it seems.. empty, like what's the point? That's the trouble with obsessions/hobbies/passions.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote