View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Starr,

Many of us have had to find new passions. We are not limited to one passion in our life.

Here is Idaho, we have a huge riding community. The horse to person ratio is one of the highest in the country.

I know there are some fabulous 'bullet proof' horses. They tend to be older horses that have long since lost their fears. The recent hay shortage caused many to be put up for sale or even given away. It was sad to see these families needing to sell their trusty steed.

Another opportunity is riding mules or even mammoth donkeys. They are much more able to tolerate startles. They tend to stop to think before they react. The donkey breeding of a mule creates a more thoughtful animal. Their stubbornness is more of a "I don't think this is a good idea" thought than blind stubbornness.

From what I have learned, horses are more prey/predator reactive.

I am looking forward to the day when I have the space and $ to feed and care for a mammoth donkey. There are some beautiful animals around here.

Have you ever seen mule races? We have a stable here that cloned a racing mule a few years ago.

The stories I hear of mules and donkeys protecting their owners or even other animals are great. A mountain lion attacked a dog that was along on a back country ride and the mule kicked and stomped the life out of the mountain lion.

We have mules days on Labor Day where they bend poles and barrel race, etc. with mules.

Maybe a bullet proof mule with break away stirrups can fill your passion.

btw, My daughter is CHA certified and wrangled at stables that catered to inexperienced summer camp riders where bullet proof was mandatory.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (06-07-2012)