Thread: Myelomalacia
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Myelomalacia

Hi all.

About a year ago I saw my neurosurgeon after having an MRI of the cervical area. It really concerned him in that between the films and the report it said that there was "Myelomacia" at C6/7 levels. I know from what I have seen that this means softening of the spine.

He recommended that I do core strengthening exercises since I was getting weakness in my arms; pain and so on. He had seen me for years and did note a decrease in me neurologically.

Then I saw him again within the past few weeks. He looked at the films again from last year and wanted to see some older films if I still had them. So I brought films that had from 1998 and he was able to see that I had myelomalacia even back then. But it progressed between 1998 and 2011. It got worse by 10-20%.

He is afraid to touch me surgically because of the other surgeries that I have had; getting to the area would require going thru the sternum and due to my other health risks felt surgery would be risky on me.

Can anyone tell me anything about mylomalcia. What if it progresses even more. I already have weakness in both arms, the left being worse, radiating pain into the shoulder area; feeling a weakness that goes into the hands and fingers.

Just looking for any information and if anyone else has experience with mylomalacia.

Thanks for listening.

Allan
pebblebeach2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote