View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Scrubbs,
Maybe this will help you out a little more:

1. I never have gone to an infusion center for my IVIG.

2. I have always had my infusion administered at home by a home nurse through a Home Healthcare Agency and it was fully covered under my Private Insurance carrier. Medicare has never paid anything toward my infusions because at the time of my first infusion in 2005 I was not approved for SSDI yet and I did not have Medicare at all. The home healthcare company worked out something with my private insurance carrier and I never had to pay anything for IVIG, I have continued to have my infusions at home to date.

3. When I was finally approved for SSDI in 2009 I went ahead and enrolled in Medicare Part A and B but my Private Insurance was still Primary. Medicare has always been secondary coverage for me and neither A nor B has been involved in paying for any part of my IVIG.

4. At my last visit with my Neurologist this past Tuesday we discussed the fact that as of June 30th, 2012 I will no longer have Private Insurance and so Medicare A and B will be my primary coverage along with D if I purchase it (which I know I will if I choose to go with Medicare only). Thus Medicare will be my Primary and responsible for my IVIG as of July 1st. Since they do not approve IG infusions at home for MG I will more than likely go to my Neuro's office for it because he administers infusions there. The Neuro and staff informed me that Medicare will not pay 100% for infusions, they will only pay for 80% even if I have Part A and Part B. That is they way it is according to them and there are no negotiations with Medicare.

5. The only way I could get the 20% paid for (according to my Neuro) is if I purchase a Medigap policy. My Neuro has two other Medicare patients that receive IVIG and they both have a Medigap Policy. In my case there is only one company that will issue a Medigap policy to me since I am under the age of 65 and that policy will cost $480 per month which is almost the amount I would pay for single coverage with my Primary Insurance Carriers COBRA policy effective July 1st. Paying more than $600 per month whether it will be with a Cobra Policy or Medigap policy is going to be difficult since my husband is unemployed and paying 20% without the Medigap policy for each IVIG will be even harder to do.

6. When you say Part B Supplement, do you mean Medigap Policy or is there something else out there that I'm not aware of?

7. I have a massive headache over all of this and it seems like nobody except fellow MG'ers get why I'm concerned and becoming stressed.

I hope this has helped you understand a little bit better. If not, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to explain anything that you don't understand.

I look forward to your reply and appreciate you taking the time to help me. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Shari
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote