View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Heart 7 June Excitement

It is amazing to learn of the fullness of the fury of the elements when caught in a midnight storm, the likes of which are beyond the understanding of any old timers around these parts. Last night we were watching a disturbing movie about an airliner crash in Alaskan wilderness and a chase of all survivors by wolves to a disappointing conclusion. It was interrupted in the middle....................

Rain had begun to pelt the roof. Heavy rain, the kind which soaks into the earth, nurturing all which is greenery with life giving moisture. The droplets increased in intensity and tempo, the lightning begins to flash and crash in dramatic counterpoint to the rainfall.......

Crash!!!!! I see sparks out of the left peripheral vision not knowing it is fire leaping from the outlets in our daughter's bedroom. The walls vibrate, and a photo montage with poetry written by my dear Mother in Law about our wedding securely hung on the wall, falls to the floor with the vibration..... the smell of electrical fire is emanating from our bathroom in the master suite..... we have been stricken by lightning, the only such home to be hit in the metro area to our knowledge....... thousands of dollars of electrical work and electronics are rendered instant bulk JUNK. A millionth of a second, and it is indelibly scribed upon our minds as an event to pass on to others as a WOW moment in time.

Funnel clouds are turning in the sky above our home, and yet we are so very close to the mountains.... the so called all protective mountains which have purported to keep twisters out of our lives, and the mountains stand as mute sentinels to the march of lightning and hail bearing twister clouds while the cacophony of tornado sirens and spoken warnings over the Emergency Broadcast System of the city cry unintelligibly to citizens who cannot hear due to the severity of the storm. We now know all of the money spent to install and regularly test those blasted sirens and speaker systems are funds wasted because during the severity of the storm nothing could be heard or understood. They work just fine in dry weather......

Our home is safe. Electrician has visited and rendered assistance. Replacements are underway while insurance is notified.... God is good, for we were kept dry and safe within our brick and stone structure and though there was fire from outlets, nothing burned but electronics and wires.

The arm? Oh, it hurts a regular 8 out of 10, although yesterday at work was a well of tears for the pain was 9 out of 10. Co-workers say "you are not made out of steel" but I am not willing to be beat by the arm. I dictate away. That works. Next week we see Doc to learn of both the true diagnosis and the proposed remedy. For now, pain is the reality, and it is tremendous. Agony. God is merciful and helps in this time of need. I am blessed.

My Boston Scientific Precision Plus SCS? None of my external electronics were damaged by the lightning.... the destroyer of lightning. The recharger was plugged into one of the most expensive power strips money can buy, as was most everything else in the house. Even so, my Boston Sci was not knocked out, and I just finished the recharge cycle on my generator. Butt buzzing away.

Today in the bright morning sunlight with six inch drifts of hail alongside roads, I drove to Ray's house taking Blueberry muffins, plates, napkins, a birthday card and sang happy birthday to his wonderful smile!! He became 93 years young today. We shared scripture and friendship, a blessing for sure.

Life is a blessing,
Thank you Lord and for those who pray,
Mark56
Mark56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon21816 (06-08-2012), chrisandrob4ever (08-07-2012), Dee (06-08-2012), DejaVu (07-28-2015), eva5667faliure (02-25-2013), ger715 (06-09-2012), Hana (02-10-2014), revrosefairy (04-25-2014), Rrae (06-08-2012)